Main Course Page
- U.S. Department of Education data on more than 25,000 secondary school students found that students who report consistent high levels of involvement in instrumental music over the middle and high school years show "significantly higher levels of mathematics proficiency by grade 12" (U.S. Department of Education NELLS88 Database).
- Schools with music programs have an estimated 90.2% graduation rate and 93.9% attendance rate compared to schools without music education, which average 72.9% graduation and 84.9% attendance (The National Association for Music Education. "Music Makes the Grade." The National Association for Music Education. Accessed February 24, 2015).
- Nearly 100% of past winners in the prestigious Siemens Westinghouse Competition in Math, Science and Technology (for high school students) play one or more musical instruments. This led the Siemens Foundation to host a recital at Carnegie Hall in 2004, featuring some of these young people, after which a panel of experts debated the nature of the apparent science/music link (The Midland Chemist (American Chemical Society) Vol. 42, No.1, Feb. 2005).
- Music education improves average SAT scores (Arts Education Partnership, 2011).
- Majorities of parents and teachers believe music education should be required in both middle and high schools (NAMM Foundation and Grunwald Associates LLC, 2015. Striking a Chord: The Public’s Hopes and Beliefs for K–12 Music Education in the United States: 2015).
- According to The Harmony Project’s website, since 2008, 93 percent of Harmony Project seniors have gone on to college, despite a dropout rate of 50 percent or more in their neighborhoods (© 2015 The Harmony Project).
|Welcome to the NUACS Band!|
With the start of a new school year there comes a great deal of energy and expectations for the wonderful things that lay before us. The study of music is a powerful window to the soul. We each are touched by a variety of musical experiences which can shape our view of life. Music has a way of bringing meaning and strength to deal with the daily challenges we face. When combined with faith in Jesus Christ we become more aware and able to recall His great love for us as we experience the beauty around us, present in music and art.
May we all grow in our love for Jesus through our pursuit of musical excellence and beauty!